Our school’s uniform
All children are expected to dress appropriately for school. Please be aware that, on occasions, they will be in contact with paint, clay, wood, glue, cookery items and a variety of other materials.
• Royal blue jumpers or cardigans. (Jumpers or cardigans with our school logo are preferred but are not essential.)
• Light/pale blue polo shirts. (Polo shirts with our school logo are preferred but are not essential.)
• Royal blue and white gingham dresses.
• Dark grey shorts, trousers or skirts.
• Dark grey or white socks.
• Smart black shoes. Please note that shoes with high heels are not permitted, and toes should be enclosed at all times (e.g. no sandals).
• Royal blue t-shirt (t-shirts with our school logo are preferred but are not essential.) • Dark blue shorts or leggings.
• Dark grey or white socks.
• Trainers or plimsols. Please note that trainers should be suitable for sporting activity rather than ‘fashion trainers’.
• A sweatshirt and jogging bottoms may be worn in colder months, but we request that these are blue, dark grey or black, and preferably non-branded.
Jewellery, hair & make up:
• Jewellery is not permitted in school with the exception of stud earrings and wristwatches (please note that smart watches with the ability to record audio or visual are not permitted). For health and safety, earrings should be removed for PE lessons.
• Hairstyles should be sensible and suitable for school. Long hair should be tied back for any lessons/activities during which it could interfere with learning or a health & safety risk (e.g. PE, science, art & DT)
• Hair accessories (including headbands) should be neutral in colour and their size should be suitable for a classroom environment and should not distract or obstruct anyone’s view or ability to learn effectively.
• Make up and nail varnish are not permitted.
• A wristwatch is permitted but smart watches with the ability to record either images, voice or video are not permitted in line with school safeguarding procedures.
Where to purchase it
Most items of our school uniform are readily available from a wide variety of online and high street retailers including supermarkets. Items of clothing with our school logo can be ordered from Nationwide School Uniforms (https://www.nationwideschooluniforms.co.uk/school-uniform/primary-school/barkston-syston-ce-primary-school) and will be delivered to your address.
We hope to be able to arrange regular sales of pre-loved school uniform and will provide more details when we can.
Expectations for our school community
Pupils Pupils are expected to wear the correct uniform at all times (other than specified non?school uniform days) while:
• On the school premises
• Travelling to and from school
• At out-of-school events or on trips that are organised by the school, or where they are representing the school (if required)
Pupils are also expected to contact the headteacher if they want to request an amendment to the uniform policy in relation to their protected characteristics.
Parents and carers
Parents and carers are expected to make sure their child has the correct uniform and PE kit, and that every item is:
• Clearly labelled with the child’s name
• In good condition
Parents are also expected to contact the headteacher if they want to request an amendment to the uniform policy in relation to:
• Their child’s protected characteristics
• The cost of the uniform
For more information about our school uniform, please read our School Uniform Policy.